Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dementia

A film crew was here for the last 2 days filming us. They asked how dementia has affected our lives. Quite a bit, actually. My SO has had to cut back on her activities but she is still able to manage this family. In fact, she leaves Saturday morning to take our oldest to Nashville for a computing camp and our youngest for a Kendo practice. She's planned it and mapped it out. She still manages that.

We bought a Tomtom to help her. I'm still trying to figure out a way to claim that as a medical expense. If anybody else out there has managed that, let me know.

Anyway, it came in handy for getting the producer to the airport. It corrected my SO's route after a wrong turn and they made it just fine.

I know what's coming with this dementia. I'm not ready to give up yet. I was filmed saying that if one believe's in a God then one must ask why? Why this? Why her? Why the children? Why me? We haven't done anything to deserve this. There is no good answer and probably never will be.

This is an ugly, horrible disease. It robs the family of a partner, parent and loved one. It's awful. And I don't think that America is ready for what's about to happen to it. Medical care is inadequate at best. Research is underfunded. Something's got to give soon.

I hold out hope that a cure is just around the corner.

No comments: