Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Quiet

The spouse and boys are gone for a week and man, is it quiet. Deafeningly so. It's like when the power goes out and you suddenly realize how much noise a house makes. Both of the boys' computers are turned off so I don't have the constant buzz of the fan to drown out the noise of the dog under the bed chewing on an old laptop power cord. Freak.

It's so quiet that I can hear myself think and that's a scary thing in and of itself. I'm thinking that I'm tired of the constant day to day struggle to make ends meet. I'm thinking that it's a little unfair to have a partner of almost 20 years diagnosed with something that's going to take her slowly away from me. I'm thinking that it's unfair to have one son who struggles to read the simplest of works while the other son reads everything he can get his hands on. I'm thinking that it's unfair that I can't send a letter to the editor because of where I work but grateful that I can fully support my chosen candidate for mayor because god knows we need a new one. I'm thinking it's unfair that I can't eat carbohydrates like I used to and I'm thinking that it's unfair that I can't make a good margarita at home because I don't have the proper ingredients.

I'm thinking jesus christ in a wicker basket, get up and go put the glass back in the front door. You need to be able to see out just like the dogs want to. Watch for life coming at you. Watch for the mailman. Watch for the Jehovah's Witnesses and be nice to them.

Anyway, the family should arrive in Chapel Hill today. My youngest gets tested all day tomorrow and hopefully we'll get some answers that will help him.....and us. He'll have his Kendo practice tonight. And I must say, he is doing well with it. It may one of a few things that he can excel at.

I'm not feeling the humor today.

The MG still needs to have a vacuum test.

I need to pack my lunch for work.

No comments: